Call for Papers | New Formations: Bureaucracy
A special issue of New Formations, the journal of theory, politics and culture, is being planned, on the theme of bureaucracy.
Editors: Eliane Glaser, senior lecturer in English and Creative Writing at Bath Spa University, and author of Anti-Politics (Repeater, 2018) and Get Real (Fourth Estate, 2012) and Jeremy Gilbert, Professor of Cultural and Political Theory at the University of East London.
Articles might address the following topics:
- the nature of bureaucracy in the 21st century
- the history of bureaucracy as on object of analysis and critique since the 19th century
- the nature/texture/experience of bureaucratic work today and/ or in the past ;
- the function and effect of the imposition of bureaucracy in everyday life;
- the psychology and psychopathology of bureaucracy;
- the status and nature of bureaucracy in contemporary capitalism
- the representation or non-representation of bureaucracy in contemporary political discourse and / or popular culture;
- the function of boredom today and / or in other historical epochs;
- big data as a bureaucratic mechanism;
- bureaucracy and anti-bureaucracy in the age of automation;
- bureaucracy and neoliberalism;
- the necessity of bureaucracy;
- anti-bureaucratic discourse on the political left and / or right
- other topics
Final articles to be 7,000-9,000 words in length. Deadline for submission of final articles will be January 31st 2019.
Proposals should consist of an abstract of around 300 words. Deadline for submission of proposals: October 31st 2018. Decisions about the acceptance of proposal will be made by November 10th 2018. Deadline for accepted submissions will be May 10th 2019. Publication expected December 2019.
Please send proposals by email, with the subject line ‘New Formations Bureaucracy Proposal’ to both of the following email addresses:
by October 31st 2018.